Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Domestic Plan

Looking at my life, I am surrounded by plans right now. In my capacity as a museum professional, I'm currently writing both an Interpretive Plan and a Business Plan for the places I intern. And my thesis (which is still in the writing phase) is about Strategic Planning. You would think this means I have enough planning on my mind, but no, of course not. When I come home I launch right back into perfecting what I will henceforth call my Domestic Plan.

My last post outlined the plan for the kitchen appliances, though that didn't include my desire for pots and pans (Double boiler? Asparagus steamer? Crepe pan?!?). Nor my interest in expanding our dishware. But right now, the non-appliance kitchen matters are secondary on the list.

Instead, my thoughts have strayed to my garden plans. Since we arrived in July, there wasn't enough time to get started on any serious plantings. I've been very jealously watching my landlord's tomatoes and basil, and she was nice enough to give us a cucumber the other day.

For now, I dreamily await the day I can start growing my own fruits and vegetables. I have grand ideas of onions and garlic, potatoes, snap peas, carrots, herbs, and my personal favorite - blueberries. What I'd like to do is start seeds myself in the basement, which will require setting up tables and lights, and possibly a heater in the late winter.

There are two things I want to procure in advance of this endeavor - a rain barrel and a compost bin. These two purchases will be useful beyond gardening, which is part of their appeal. I'm currently researching at Lowes, Target, and Amazon, looking for good deals. If I find any, I'll be sure to let you know.

Next up, how to stain a shelving unit, details on the decorations, and preparing for the biggest meal of the year!

Warmly,

Caity

2 comments:

  1. Gardening is a wonderful thing. I've been helping my dad with his whenever he's had one since I was three, though I suppose at three I probably wasn't much help :P. I would give you some recommendations but I have a feeling this is something where you probably already know what you're doing. If anything I should probably be taking ideas from you. Good luck with your winter seed starting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started composting this past year and love it! The guilt for not using the bottom part of broccoli or the last bit of spinach I just did not get to before it got too icky to eat has almost gone away. The best and easiest starter compost bin is a converted plastic storage bin. It takes some hacking (or cutting) skills, but all you need to do is cut out the bottom and some silver dollar ish sized holes in the sides, and walla! you got yourself a compost bin!

    ReplyDelete