Friday, March 23, 2012

Surprise Seedlings

These seedlings have just been full of surprises. It's been five days and all but one type of seed (the Rosemary) has sprouted. The Lavender only has a few up, but it's at least something. Everything else has already become a monster.


It's actually inconvenient, since I started seeds because I wanted it to take a while. All the packets said germination would take 2-3 weeks! I'm already looking at having to transplant the zucchini because they pushed the "greenhouse lid" of the trays off, and that has the potential to hurt the other plants.


I mean, look at how big they are. Some are already in the 4-5 inches range. What monsters!


The broccoli (right) and tomatoes (left) clearly thirst for more sunlight. Can you tell which way the window is?


Some of the zucchini haven't grown especially smartly. They can't seem to figure out to direct their roots downward.

These last few are the sensitive plants, with a random piece of trivia! I previously had no idea that the "electric" sense that the plants use to close up when touched doesn't develop until later in life. I discovered this because the babies don't move right now if you poke them. Their first little leaves are pretty rigid and inflexible.

I'll keep up with the photos as this process continues. I have to do a lot more research very quickly about how to grow crops in pots!

- Caity

2 comments:

  1. You still have time, although it looks like you might need to do something about the zukers soon. See if you can get your hands on some inexpensive 4" pots to transplant them up and buy yourself a lot more time. If there's a nursery or garden center, nearby, they might have some in the back for recycling that they'd just give you.

    And since rosemary is technically a shrub, it will take much longer to sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! If "much longer" really means "one more day" then I guess so. To be fair, only one rosemary seed had sprouted this morning, but it's still funny to me. ;-)

    Yeah, I need a bunch of 4" pots I think. I have big pots from Habitat for Humanity's Restore, and Nick and I just dumpster-salvaged about 15-square-feet of planks to make larger wooden planters out of. But I need an intermediate set for the baby plants. The zukes started falling over today. >.<

    ReplyDelete