Saturday, November 19, 2011

Six days to go

As you already know, Thanksgiving has been at the forefront of my domesticated mind the past few weeks. Even with getting furniture into our sparser rooms, the goal has been to make guests as comfortable as possible. That's meant pulling the guest bedroom together, trying to find chairs that will match the living room, etc. We haven't been entirely successful so far (especially in the chair department), but I'll be making another stop at the Habitat for Humanity store before Thursday.

In the meantime, Thanksgiving prep is all about food, as it should be. I've done some reading into how other cooks have prepped their Thanksgiving meal, and the advice was pretty much the same across the board -

1) Clean your kitchen and fridge well in advance.
2) Make a menu and a full grocery list, and buy things in advance if you can.
3) Make sure you have the dishes and platters to actually serve the dishes you've selected.
4) Set a schedule for the week leading up to the big day, and know what you can prep in advance (pie dough, vegetable chopping, etc).
5) Do a dry run of setting up your table to double check whether you have enough dishes, silverware, and space on your table.

Despite my planning and reading, I have to admit I haven't done a great job with this list so far. I've bought some things in advance, and I have a menu and grocery list, but I haven't set my schedule or checked my dishes. Cleaning the kitchen will happen this afternoon, and I've been plowing through the dishes every day. I've also been polishing the silver set we just inherited from my husband's grandmother, and bought extra plates and bowls where I knew I needed them.

Once I have things that are more photogenic (like setting up my table), I'll be sure to post pictures. I'll also include my schedule, once I've written it down!

What are your Thanksgiving plans? Are you cooking the whole thing, cooking parts, or blessedly being cooked for? Being a bit of a Thanksgiving nerd, I'd love to hear about your plans!

- Cait

3 comments:

  1. Since we've hosted Thanksgiving so many times, we kind of have the routine down. Mom's job is to cook the turkey on the Weber and I do all the sides and dessert. We don't like people bringing stuff over because there's already too much food.

    I go to the grocery store a couple times: once for non-perishables and again for fresher items like produce (unless I have a day off that lets me go once). Then I prep everything that I can on Wednesday and then it's cooking fest on Thursday. Desserts are made ahead of time and set out to warm to room temp on the day of.

    This year's menu includes: some kind of stuffing that's not from a mix (I usually greatly embellish a bag mix), mashed potatoes, gravy, garlicy green beans (somewhat Asian style), homemade onion rolls (I saw a recipe in Bon Apetit), sweet potato pie, pumpkin roll cake from the Libby's Pumpkin label.

    Can't wait to see your set up and pics!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mo! That's pretty awesome. how many people do you usually host? Garlicy green beans sound delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually have anywhere from 6-9 people, which is sort of a problem since our table only seats 6. There have been years when my mom and two of her friends eat in the kitchen. Those are the years that I don't get any crispy turkey skin because they're all in the kitchen with it.

    I'll have to so you my green bean technique when you're out in December. :)

    ReplyDelete